Stanhoe Norfolk may be a small village within the north-west of English county of Norfolk.
We have fewer than 200 permanent residents, but there's an active community spirit, and lots of more people visit at weekends and through the summer.
In the middle of the village may be a large duck pond, and the nearby pub is callled the Duck Inn.
Many of the homes are built from traditional Norfolk materials: flint, chalk, and brick, roofed with curved red tiles. There are several large houses, including Stanhoe Hall, and some beautiful farm buildings.
2,000 years of farming
Stanhoe Norfolk has been a farming community since the Romans were here nearly two thousand years ago. The Saxons gave us the name Stanhoe (“stony hill”), and by the thirteenth century the village was prosperous enough to create the church of All Saints. Sir Hervey de Stanhoe, who appears on our village sign, was High Sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk in 1260. inspect our local history section for more information.
In the fields today you'll see wheat, oilseed rape (canola), sugar beet, and East Anglia’s famous malting barley. Don’t be surprised to seek out tractors and dirt on the road at harvest .
Norfolk remains an unspoiled county with abundant wildlife, especially birds. Stanhoe has no street lights, and on a transparent night the sky is filled with stars.
From the center of the last century the population of Stanhoe fell as workers moved faraway from the land. within the last few decades more people have inherit the village, in order that we now have around 190 permanent residents, plus many visitors at weekends and within the summer.